- 1 Can you break a steel bathtub?
- 2 How much does it cost to remove a steel bathtub?
- 3 How hard is it to remove a cast iron tub?
- 4 Can you cut a bathtub in half?
- 5 How much does it cost to change out a bathtub?
- 6 Can you replace a bathtub yourself?
- 7 Can I cut a cast iron tub?
- 8 How much does it cost to remove a cast iron tub?
- 9 How do you move a heavy bathtub?
- 10 When should I replace my cast iron tub?
Can you break a steel bathtub?
If the old bathtub has value and you wish to salvage it, remove the feet (which should twist off) counterclockwise. Then break the tub into manageable pieces with a sledgehammer. You can also cut steel, fiberglass, and plastic tubs into smaller pieces with a reciprocating saw.
How much does it cost to remove a steel bathtub?
Removing the existing tub will run from $50 to $100. Hauling the old bathtub away can cost between $100 and $4,200, depending on the weight. Once removed, fixing and preparing the surface for the new tub can cost $300 to $800.
How hard is it to remove a cast iron tub?
Cast iron tubs can weigh over 300lbs easily depending on the size, shape, and wall thickness, which makes them very difficult to remove.
Can you cut a bathtub in half?
If it is a fiberglass tub you can cut it with virtually any saw blade. The easiest and most versatile saw for this type of cutting is the reciprocating saw or “sawzall”. Start with two cuts across the width of the tub, dividing the tub into thirds. Once the cuts are complete, you can remove the center piece.
How much does it cost to change out a bathtub?
Bathtub Installation or Replacement Cost The average cost to install a bathtub is $4,374, but can range from $1,450 and $7,300, depending on the type of tub and modifications needed. The average cost of the tub itself ranges from $200 to $8,500 or more.
Can you replace a bathtub yourself?
Upgrading your bathtub can drastically improve your bathroom’s appearance and your family’s comfort. Removing a bathtub and installing a new one is an approachable task for many. If you carefully prepare and work with a helper, you can complete this DIY project in one day.
Can I cut a cast iron tub?
Unless you have a freestanding tub, learning how to remove a cast iron tub requires cutting the tub away from the wall. Carefully cut through wall 6 inches or less above the tub with a reciprocating saw. Do not cut studs, wiring, or plumbing inside the wall.
How much does it cost to remove a cast iron tub?
Cast Iron Tub Removal Cost. To remove a standard cast iron tub, you can expect to pay anywhere from $255-$395. Based on where the tub is location in the home or on the property, your cost could be more.
How do you move a heavy bathtub?
If you are moving the tub along a flat surface with few stairs, a furniture dolly is recommended. Furniture dollies hold up to 1,000 pounds and are ideal for moving large items such as marble tubs. However, if you have a lot of stairs to move the tub up or down, an appliance dolly may be the better option.
When should I replace my cast iron tub?
Replace your cast iron tubs for the following reasons:
- You have no need for a tub and prefer a shower instead.
- You want to replace it with a soaking, freestanding, or whirlpool bathtub.
- You have a personal vendetta against it and just want it out.
- You want a barrier free shower and want to remodel for aging in place.